Each major development of cell phones has been categorized into “generations.” So far there are 1G, 2G, and 3G cell phones, with interim standard generations falling in-between. The most current cellular generation, the 3G, includes the newest features such as web browsing, e-mail, video, TV, and applications. The 3G phone has transformed wireless phones “from a person-to-person communication device into a convergent communication and entertainment platform” (Grant, 254). A few examples of this include Verizon Wireless’s VCAST and Sprint TV, where the wireless phone companies partnered up with popular TV channels to offer shows for a monthly fee.
This bridge across the different mediums has had both positive and negative effects on those who use it. According to lecture, it is estimated that over 1 billion cell phone calls are made everyday in the United States. Each year people are using up more minutes, and some are even discontinuing their regular landlines. With the estimated household penetration nearing 80%, it only shows that cell phones are a huge part of our everyday lives.
Cell phones have become a necessity today due to their convenient shape as well as all of the helpful resources they provide. Instead of small band cell phones with bulky antennas, cell phones today use wideband fractal antennas, which are much smaller and have better receivers. They also use packet-switching which allows cell phones to have low-definition video and operate as fast as 2 megabits per second! The invention of smart phones has also allowed for cell phones to become a part of our everyday on-the-go lifestyles. Phones such as the iPhone and Blackberry allow for web browsing, e-mail, and even the creation of spreadsheets and word documents. The iPhone also has applications that users can download to their phones. With over 100,000 applications already, the functions of the iPhone are virtually endless.
Even though cell phones help us with everyday functions, they can also lead to dangerous effects on consumers. One of the biggest problems caused by cell phones today is using them while driving. In the article “Driving while conversing: Cell phones that distract and passengers who react,” a study was done to determine the effects on drivers while talking on their cell phone versus talking to a passenger. It was shown that when a driver is talking to a passenger, the passenger is able to alert the driver of an approaching hazard. Passengers also slow their rate of conversation when approaching a hazard. When a driver is talking on their cell phone, all of these cues are absent from the situation. According to the article, “the data suggested that conversation modulation was a key factor in maintaining driving performance and that seeing the road and traffic was not sufficient to produce it” (Charlton 3). Since the creation of 3G phones, phone calls are not the only concern while driving. Texting is also becoming a big concern, and a few states have passed laws recently banning texting while driving. Overall, the focus of the driver is taken away when using cell phones.
Although some wireless phone companies have claimed to have the next generation phone (4G) coming out soon, they have yet to even invent this phone. According to lecture, the ultimate goal for 4th generation phones will be the ability to offer as much HD content as cable or satellite TV. Some also see this as the ultimate convergence device, which could essentially replace radio, television, and computers. The bridge across all of these different mediums is still in the works, and someday we may all be using this ultimate convergence device.
Works Cited
Charlton, Samuel G. "Driving while conversing: Cell phones that distract and passengers who react." PsycINFO. Accident Analysis & Prevention, Jan. 2009. Web. 21 Nov. 2009.
Grant, August E., and Jennifer H. Meadows. (2008). Communication Technology Update and Fundamentals. 11th ed.Elsevier, 250-256.
Drivers distracted by cell phones seems to be a huge and devastating problem. With the growing amount of cell phone functions, it seems like the problem will only increase. Now, people don't only have the temptation to text or call while driving, they can also watch a movie, download music, or check Facebook. The list of options, or distractions depending on how you look at it, could be pages long. While laws regulating a driver’s cell phone use are a good start, I think cell phone company innovations will be much more effective at combating this problem. Things like Bluetooth technology, which enables hands free talking, are good start. I think cell phone companies should include more of these measures to diminish distracted driving in the 4G model.
ReplyDeleteGoing back to when you were talking about the use of cell phones in vehicles; everyone knows this is a huge problem and I am surprised that cell phone companies have not came out with a solution to this problem already. I know now there are hand free headsets, but it seems like no one really wants to wear them because they look dorky. Also, now people can talk to people through their car without actually picking up the phone. This is a better solution to cell phone calls in the car, but not that many people actually talk on their phone anymore. If a company came out with a way to read texts out loud in your car with a push of a button and then the person could respond to the text by talking and the car typing, there would be a lot fewer accidents. Hopefully in the future, all cars will have this phone application and better the safety of people who just can’t help texting while driving.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the comments made before me. Driving and texting has become a huge problem with the recent popularity of the fad on cell phones. Of course many of us are aware of the problem, yet many of us are victim to committing this crime. There is no completely safe way of texting while driving other than refraining from doing it. If texting would continue to become a large problem on our streets I would consider taking the ability off the cell phone if it would save lives. People need to realize what they are doing isn’t safe and wait for a more appropriate time to text.
ReplyDeleteCell phones are very popular in this era of mankind. People worry about having the latest technology such Sprint TV or Vcast. Cell phones are necessities. Imagine not being able to text in a boring lecture. Imagine not being able to check the score on your favorite team when you are not close to a TV. Cell phones in vehicles are a big issue, but many innovators are trying to come up with ways to make cells phone less dangerous in cars. I believe that no matter how you try to make cell phones safe in vehicles, the will never be totally safe.
ReplyDeleteCooper.1705
Some people need there cell phone to go about their daily business, whether it be the hard working business man who needs constant updates from his phone to do his job, or the stay at home mom who has to be notified that her kid is done with soccer practice. These people have to realize the dangers they put themselves in when they use their phones while driving. The 4G phones that will soon come out need to have updated features to help people become safer while using a phone and driving
ReplyDeletepietch.6
I find it extremely interesting that in today's world we not only have the option for high definition video at home, but now we have it on our phones on the go! I noticed that you mentioned SprintTV and Verison's V-Cast. In addition to that there is a new campaign put on by AT&T called called Mobile TV. This service requires a subsription of 15 dollars per month, which to most this is an unnecessary expense. Another thing that really caught my attention was the usage of cell phones while driving. I am from California and the state recently enforced a new law effective January 1, 2009 that states you may not text, or talk on the phone while operating a motor vehicle. Engaging in this behavior is not only dangerous, but it is also reckless and can result in an undesirable outcome such as a car wreck or even death.
ReplyDeleteLutz.188
You have really summed up how vital cell phones are in today's society. I think the world would stop turing if we did not have them. But in all seriousness, I found the results of the study to be the most interesting part of your paper. It never occured to me that an extra set of eyes in the car would help to keep the driver alert versus chatting on the cell phone. And I am glad you brought up not only talking while driving, but texting too. It's becoming more than major concern. I happened to read a study that claimed texting while driving is worse than being slightly intoxicated. I'm thinking if the police ruled out alcohol in the Tiger Woods accident, he very well might have been texting or talking on the phone...
ReplyDeletesheehan.45
I agree and believe that soon the phone will be the ultimate convergance device and will replace the computer, radio, and TV for some users. Already the Iphone and Blackberry devices have almost everything on them and are especially important to business workers and travelers. I have even heard some people say how they hardly ever use their lap top or desk top computer anymore since they use their Iphone or Blackberry so much instead and it is easy to access if you are just sitting on the couch and would like to use the internet and it is easy to connect as well. Although, as mentioned in the blog, if cell phones become the ultimate convergance device, then that will obviously lead to more accidents in motor vehicles. Can you imagine how many new accidents will happen from people watching TV on their phone while traveling far distances? There is already alot of them from phone calls and texts alone. If we do get all of our technological needs out of our phones in the near future, I believe that some new laws should be passed in order to keep the safety of drivers on the roads.
ReplyDeleteI think that the usage of cell phones in cars can’t really be regulated. There are already laws in some states to prevent this, but people still get away with using their phones while driving a vehicle. I believe the only way this problem can be solved is through the development of new technology such as the use of a Bluetooth. Some cars even allow your cell phone to link up with it and answer calls without having to touch your phone. This is much safer than having to reach into a pocket or purse and look for your cell phone while trying to concentrate on driving. I believe that we will continue to see new developments that follow that trend.
ReplyDeleteI've also heard that texting while driving is more of a distraction then driving while drunk. That's a scary fact because while college students particularly have had "don't drink and drive" drilled into our brains; all of us are probably guilty of texting while driving at least once. While I agree that Bluetooth and the ability of cars to access your phone so you can safely talk and drive can help, I think the phone companies themselves need to take greater responsibility. Only cars built in the past year or so have this technology. I'm just guessing, but I assume that a lot of the texting while driving violators are college students and young people, most of whom because of their age can't afford a brand new car (I personally have a 20 year old car and I know I'm not the only one!). I think the idea that someone mentioned above about cell phones having the ability to read text messages aloud and type a verbal response from the user would be much more effective.
ReplyDeletewagner.600
I took interest in your topic as I had talked about cell phones too. And I could not help but agree with your article. I totally agree with you that cell phones, nowadays, with its convergent nature, has its pros and cons. Regarding the driving rule, well I am from Malaysia, and that rule exists in my country too. But, the thing is, people have become so dependent on the cell phone, that they just ignore the ruling, taking risks at getting fined or even worst, risk of a death-causing accident just to talk on the phone or text message someone while driving. I have to say that I have been guilty of such an act too!!! Besides that, I am also eagerly awaiting the emergence of the 4G because I watch a lot of shows on my mobile phone now, so High- Definition on my mobile phone would be an added bonus for me.
ReplyDeletea-venkataramani.1
Docken.1
ReplyDeleteI agree with some of the comments prior to me. These phones such as the iPhone or Blackberry are becoming a huge part of our daily lives. I bought the iPhone simply because of how much I could do with it, I hated carrying my iPod and phone separately and liked how the iPhone had both functions and much more. I know if I forget my phone at home I will go crazy like a smoker who needs a light. The new HTC commercial that is out right now pretty much nails it spot on. It’s the first thing we look at in the morning and the last thing we see before we go to bed.